I was given the yarn and pattern for this project by a dear Polish friend. I was really glad because choosing patterns for yarns is sometimes stressful for me. This came all ready to go, decisions all made for me! Just what I needed. 🙂
Started – November 18, 2017
Completed – March 13
Duration – 115 days = 16.4 weeks
The friend who sent me this yarn and pattern jokes about how fast I knit. She really did not expect this blouse to take me so long and has apologized a few times. 😀 However, it’s been (mostly) fun to knit. The sleeves and yoke were all interesting and quick to knit; the hem, neckline edging, and armhole edgings I knit in just a few days. The miles and miles (OK, so only actually a couple feet) of stockinette body was the least pleasant part.
Of course, I did not knit exclusively on this for the entire 4.5 months, and I let it languish some of those weeks. So there is no telling how much actual knitting went into this. Except, I can say that each round of the body required 10 minutes, and that works out to about 25 hours on just the body itself, from armhole to hem.
Asagi by Bristol Ivy
I made the XL size for a finished 55 1/4″ bust, which is about 6 1/4″ positive ease for me. This blouse is intended to fit loosely this way.
This design has an interesting construction that I enjoyed working. I could have made one size smaller if I added length to that size, as it fits rather generously under the arms. It does not have quite the V-neck I was expecting — it fits more like a boat-neck. That’s not a bad thing, just different.
I made one major modification to the pattern. It is designed for the front hem to be many inches shorter than the back. With a large bust, I knew it would be even shorter on me, and wouldn’t look very good. I modified the design by adding short rows at the front under the yoke, to add some length there before beginning the plain knitting for the body. However, I did try to stay true to the spirit of the design by not adding so many short rows that the front hem would be equal in length to the back.
(For my non-knitting friends… “short rows” refer to a technique of adding height/length to a piece, without adding width. And I’m going to go into technical detail about how I did this, so you may want to skip down to the Yarn Info section to avoid all the boring details.)
I worked the short rows using the German short row technique. Instead of a traditional wrapped stitch, a nick-named “double stitch” is formed in this technique. For explanatory purposes, I’ll call this the GSR stitch.
I joined the front yokes and back as indicated in the pattern and knit 3 rounds of stockinette. I marked the start of the round (at the bottom of the left armhole), the center of the front, and the middle of the round (bottom of the right armhole). I worked the short rows over the front of the blouse only.
I knit 3 stitches past the front center marker, turned, created the GSR stitch. Then knit to 3 stitches past the front center marker again (on the WS), turned, created another GSR stitch. Then, I knit to the first GSR stitch, worked it according to the German short row technique, then knit 3 more, turned, created a new GSR stitch. I repeated this until I had worked short rows across the entire front of the blouse. (There is a visible “seam” where the short rows were worked, shown below.)
This added about 4 inches to the front of the blouse. It is still longer in the back than the front, as the designer intended, but accommodates my shape better.
Włóczki Warmii Lenka
Colorway – Koralowy róż (coral rose)
3.88 skeins = 1273.0 yds used
This was my first time using linen yarn. It is similar to cotton, in that it is very inelastic. It has no give at all and is very smooth. This is a light fingering weight, which made a lightweight, airy blouse — perfect to wear over a camisole in summer time.
As I knit with this yarn, I worried that it would feel scratchy against my skin, but it doesn’t at all.
I washed this by hand, used the washer to spin the excess water out, then machine-dried it as I do any other clothing. I’m curious to see how the yarn wears over time, whether it softens or “blooms” at all. However, it is perfectly comfortable now!
I didn’t take any pictures of me wearing this because it doesn’t fit, now, as it will in a few months. 😉 But it does fit, even over my baby bump, and is loose enough to lift for breastfeeding, so I expect it will be worn a lot this summer.
front center where the short rows were added
“leaf” lace detail on the sleeves
this is as true to the color as I could get