I was given this yarn as a gift and struggled to find a suitable pattern for it. Too much patterning in the yarn plays funny with a highly-decorative stitch design. Yet too little and the work is just plain boring! Also, the fiber content threw me off; it is really easy to find patterns that work well with wool or wool blends, but bamboo and cotton can be finicky.
I am very pleased with my final pick, though, and expect to use this shawl a lot. I wished I had it for a date night out to the movie theater a few weeks back; theaters are always so cold!
Started – July 15
Completed – August 28
Duration – 44 days = 6.3 weeks
One of those weeks was spent NOT knitting because I was waiting for a third skein to arrive in the mail.
Bamboo Wedding Shawl by Purl Soho
This is a good pattern. It looks very nice with a highly variegated yarn like this one. I also think it would be lovely in a solid, tonal, or heathered color — so, pretty much any color!
My only modification was to increase the number of cast-on stitches to 111, to widen the finished shawl. I’m very glad I did that. However, that also meant I needed more yarn to achieve an appropriate shawl length.
The design is more complex than it appears. I made several mistakes during the first third of the shawl, which required me to tink back a row or two. I was often unable to “read” my knitting and find the mistake, or easily correct mistakes two rows back. That was very frustrating.
After only the second repeat of the lace, I charted it by hand. The pattern only gives written instructions, which I dislike. The chart helped considerably.
All of the lace I have knit in the past has been easier, in that I can see how the design is accomplished, can look at the work on the needles and know where I am in the repeat, and can see the design coming together on the needles. This was not like that at all until the last third or so of the work. I was able to know which row I was on after having put my knitting down, by looking at the yarn-over holes at the beginning of the row. But if I was distracted during the row (happens often, these days), I had to do a lot of thinking to get myself back on track, and would often NOT be correct in the end, and need to tink back to the beginning of the row.
With all that said — I do think I would knit this pattern again! As frustrating as it was at first, I did develop a rhythm with it, it did get easier, and I think a second shawl would work up much more quickly.
One other thing to note: the side edges curl inward. It is just the nature of this type of fabric and likely won’t be helped by washing/blocking this fiber. A wool yarn could be blocked more vigorously to keep those edges straight. I don’t mind the curling, but wanted to note that in case anyone is reading this in anticipation of knitting this pattern.
Universal Yarn Bamboo Pop
50% cotton, 50% bamboo
Colorway – 211 Frosty Morning
2.96 skeins = 864.3 yds used
This is such a soft yarn. I have no idea how it will wash up, yet, but right now — it is very comfortable. Also (and perhaps this is more to do with the pattern I chose) it drapes and hangs nicely. It is quite heavy, as cotton yarns tend to be, but I do think the bamboo helps somewhat.
The colors are very striking and pretty. I was unsure if I would like this knit up, as I use far fewer variegated yarns than I did when I first began knitting. I seem to prefer heathers and tonals lately. I am pleased, though. This pattern tones down the brightness significantly.
While knitting, this design/color combination reminded me of two things: mountain peaks covered in blue ice and snow reflecting the sunset, and Native American tipi peaks in tribal colors. I named it according to the first because that is what Nate saw.