Since switching to a backpack for a diaper bag, I have kept diapers in a 1-gallon zip-top plastic bag. It worked decently but had some flaws.
- Not many diapers fit in the bag. Having too many in vertically made it difficult to close. And only a handful fit horizontally.
- The plastic was slippery. When I pulled out a diaper, the whole stack slipped out along with it.
- The top could not be closed with one hand.
So, I designed something to replace it, and I’m very happy with the result. 😊
Started – May 27
Completed – May 27
Duration – 1 day
In total, I spent about 2 hours from sketching to completion. Not bad at all!
Improvised by me
I designed this. I may write up a tutorial for my pattern site, but have not started it yet.
This design solved the problems I had with the plastic bag. It is sized well for a large stack of diapers (finished about 9″ by 13″); the zipper holds even if the bag is bulging. The fabric is not slippery, so I can easily pull out a single diaper. The zipper placement is dual-purposed: it can be opened fully to insert a large stack of diapers and just the top can be opened when removing a single diaper during a change.
It is fully lined, and all seams are hidden.
I bought the fabric at a yard sale very cheaply some years ago. I think it is polyester or a polyester blend. The bought the “vintage” metal zipper at a marketplace booth for maybe a nickel.