I’ve been making these fried potatoes a lot lately and finally photographed the steps for you. These make a nice change from mashed or creamed potatoes and can be flavored various ways to complement the main dish. I’ll give some ideas below the recipe.
Basic Fried Potatoes
2 large baking potatoes, diced
1-2 Tbsp oil
2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
Heat oil in a heavy skillet (cast-iron is perfect) over medium heat. Add potatoes, salt, and pepper; cover and cook, without stirring, 5 minutes. Stir, recover, and cook another 5 minutes. When potatoes are just tender, uncover and cook until desired browning is achieved. Stir only occasionally while potatoes are browning, scraping up the potatoes with a firm spatula. (If stirred too often, they will just go to mush and not achieve those crispy browned bits that are oh-so-yummy!)
OK, I mentioned variations…
- use shredded potato instead of diced — hashbrowns!
- add more seasonings
- chili powder, cumin, and oregano for a Tex-Mex twist
- garlic powder, onion powder, and parsley pair nicely with a steak supper
- add more ingredients like diced onion or minced bell/jalapeno/cayenne pepper (add these over top of potatoes at the beginning)
- stir in grated cheese at the very end (about 1/2 cup per 2 potatoes)