The full name for this dish is Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Chicken Breast, which is a mouthful… but a tasty one, for sure! The recipe can be found on the Brown Sugar blog.
- Pepper Jack cheese in place of the plain Monterrey Jack, for a spicier flavor
- pickled jalapeno peppers in place of fresh (I already had pickled on-hand)
- added 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder to the filling mixture
- seasoned the flour portion of the breading with a small amount of salt and pepper
- garlic-seasoned bread crumbs instead of plain (I already had a can of this kind opened)
With my modifications, the filing was spicy, which we really like. 🙂 I think it would have been great as-written, too.
Why I Liked This Recipe
The filling was very flavorful and introduced much-needed moisture to the chicken breast. The breading was crispy. Finishing the cooking in the oven meant there was less chance of over-cooking the chicken (which is my tendency). This was large enough to be a full meal if paired with a simple side salad. In fact, I was too full to finish my chicken, though I didn’t want to stop eating it!
Downsides to This Recipe
This is not a simple recipe. Though it cooks quickly, the preparation is very involved. It’s definitely not a fast week-night recipe.
Also, the recipe made about twice the filling than I needed. Perhaps I did not stuff the chicken as full as I should have, but next time, I will probably just make less of the filling mixture.
This recipe will be added to my arsenal, and I intend to fix it again sometime. I liked it, even though I’m not the biggest fan of chicken. Here is how mine looked: