I mentioned in a previous post that I’m going to start a quilt for our bed. I ordered the fabrics online from fabrics.com. I found this really nice line of quilting cottons called “Walnut Hill Farm” that had a charming country look, so I chose 6 of those fabrics. And since I love the name of the fabric line so much, I’m calling this new quilt “Walnut Hill Quilt” (hence WHQ in the title of this post). Since this isn’t a gift quilt, I can share my progress with you.
The fabric came in yesterday, and I am so pleased with all of it. I can already tell the quality is better than what I used in my last quilt. These fabrics were actually a bit cheaper than last time because I bought them during the (last few hours of the) fabric.com winter sale. Last night, I pre-washed all but the backing and border fabrics and pressed them. Here is the whole lot of fabrics:
I chose three primarily green fabrics and three primarily blue fabrics. There are two pairs of identical prints in different colors. I hoped this would lend some continuity to the quilt top. Here are the color groups a little closer (and fuzzier, sorry!):
These fabrics are named, from left to right: Dandelions green, Hilltop green, and Josie green.
(Sorry the middle blue is upside-down!) The names of these, left to right, are: Dandelions yellow, Hilltop blue, and Music blue. I’m not sure why the last is named Music–there is not a single music note on it! It is just covered in the alphabet printed in a very pretty scroll-font. Maybe it is named for the font..
I have paired them into 3 pairs. I have to make 165 blocks, so I will need 55 of each pair. This means that at any juncture of 4 blocks, 2 will be the same colors. I’m hoping I can orient the blocks in such a way as to put matching-colored blocks diagonal in any given juncture of four. We’ll see if it works out that way, though. I didn’t want to choose too many fabrics because I thought the quilt would look too busy, and to be honest, I couldn’t find any others I loved as much as these. So, here are the pairs:
You can probably tell that I didn’t want to pair identical prints together (both hilltops or both dandelions), and I wanted to pair more solid-colored fabrics (such as Music) with less-colored fabrics (like Hilltop).
The backing fabric is a light cream/tan color with vines printed in white, called “Vines natural” (very creative on the name there!). It doesn’t belong to the same fabric line, but I thought it would make a simple back that could take all the quilting from the front and not look too busy. I really loved one that was printed with butterflies, but thought Nate would appreciate the less feminine vines. The border fabric for the front of the quilt is a darker tan that I think goes well with the top fabrics from the Walnut Hill line. It is a basic Kona muslin.
I tried to go in a neutral direction with this quilt. We currently have a store-bought quilt that is covered in pink and purple embroidered flowers. Of course, Nate is quite tolerant, but since making my own quilt gives me the unique opportunity to pick prints (selection is much larger, I mean), I thought I’d stay away from heavy florals and traditionally feminine color combinations. I wanted to incorporate green, as our sheets are green, and I didn’t want to buy new sheets to match the new quilt. I really love green and pink together, in floral prints, but decided against it. I still got a bit of floral in there (the Dandelion fabrics are, technically, floral prints). When I took all the fabrics out of the box yesterday and requested Nate’s opinion, he said, “I’d sleep under those.” Ah, a husband’s approval. 🙂
There are the fabrics–I’d love your opinions, although I don’t think I’d change anything. Heh. I hope to share more about the design soon. I would like to start piecing this in the next day or two, but I want to make a practice block with some other fabric first, before I cut into these beauties. 🙂