I haven’t shared any projects recently because… well, I haven’t finished much. I did complete the first of Nate’s pair of socks on Monday, though. It fits very well, and I am especially proud of it because it was a tall order. (Ha, pun intended!) He wanted socks that would reach almost to his knees to protect his skin from his rubber boots. In the winter, it gets so wet and soggy here that he wears his rubber boots nearly every day. He does tuck his jeans in, but another layer helps. The wool should keep his feet warmer, as well. And, for those who don’t know, wool absorbs a lot of water, so maybe his feet will stay a little drier too.
These socks were very easy, done toe-up beginning with a Turkish Cast-On and then working the gusset and heel according to Fleegle’s Toe-up Socks pattern. I worked the entire thing in stockinette (knitting around and around and…), decreasing after the heel because his ankles are not very big, then increasing again for the calf. I worked one and half inches of plain 1×1 ribbing and bound off using Jeny’s Surprisingly Stretchy Bind-off. Overall, they were quite simple–the most complicated part was figuring out how to increase for the calf shaping.
He’s so happy with the first sock, he wore it for a few hours right after I finished it. 🙂 Now I can’t wait to get the second finished, so maybe he can wear the full pair before winter is over! I’ve begun increasing for the gusset, but that only puts me about 10% into it.
I intended to get a couple of pictures of it on him today, but forgot before the sun went down. You’ll have to wait until the other is done to see how they fit!